Public Health England (PHE) has published technical guidelines detailing the different approaches the industry may take to reduce the amount of sugar in everyday foods. The government has set Sugar Reduction targets of 20% by 2020, and 5% in the next 12 months. PHE’s goal to reduce sugar content forms part of their Childhood Obesity Action Plan.
Whether it be by means of portion size reduction or through reformulated products, Nielsen Brandbank is ready to support the industry in aligning its digital content with the government’s Sugar Reduction targets.
The targets cover nine categories of foods:
2. Breakfast cereals
4. Confectionery (chocolate and sweet)
5. Ice cream, lollies and sorbets
6. Morning goods (e.g. pastries; buns and waffles)
7. Puddings (inc: pies & tarts)
8. Sweet spreads and sauces
9. Yoghurt and fromage frais